Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rock Music, Rambling...and Ultrarunning

As I continue to love my car's Sirius XM Radio, I've noticed a recurring theme for some some rockers from the period/genre of Classic Rock (60s and 70s).  They tend to romanticize the stereotypical artistic, footloose antihero, imbued with wanderlust so as not to dilute the power of their music. 

Oh, and also they sing about it.  To wit:

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
But, if I stayed here with you, girl
Things just couldn't be the same
'Cause I'm as free as a bird now
And this bird, you'll can not change

Rambling Man (Allman Brothers)
When it's time for leaving, I hope you'll understand
That I was born a rambling man

Heard it in a Love Song (Marshall Tucker Band)
I'm gonna be leaving
At the break of dawn
Wish you could come
But I don't need no woman tagging along

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (Bob Seger)
I ain't around to love you now, and I gotta run
Gotta keep moving, never gonna slow down
You can have your funky world, see you 'round

Must be tough to have to forgo all those potentially entangling relationships just to stay free to do music, and, well, to ramble. 

Whenever--rarely--I use the word "ramble" with respect to me, or if the bride does so, what we mean is that I am babbling, talking on and on and on.  I never use it to express a need to roam so as not to be stifled.

I guess the link to Ultrarunning is that maybe we get our vicarious rambling jones out of the way via trail running, so we can be happy and secure in our personal relationships and not feel the need to roam.

Videos follow for your listening pleasure....






And a very gray-haired Bob Seger....

No comments:

Post a Comment